Sunday, August 14, 2011

Washcloth Crafts, Bats! Another Perspective for the Factoid List!

          Washcloth Bat with Raised Wings

    Washcloth Bat

TerryGami, 15 Cloth Toy and Ornament Projects for Crafters, Teachers, and Children
The book is now available in paperback!
The book is available at:


Welcome to washcloth crafts!

The bat in some Native Indian cultures symbolizes rebirth. A few years ago, a Cherokee spiritual woman read my animal totem, which is said to represent the animals that walk with us on our life's journey.  The bat is one of my totem animals.  Having lost a loved one recently, bat has shown up for me in unusual ways to remind me that no one ever dies and that there is only rebirth; something I like to believe and need to remember.

Animals are said to appear in one manner or another whenever there is a need and whenever one is receptive to the message.  For example, an animal may appear in "person” or on a TV show, in magazines or on billboards or in dreams, etc.  They are here to tell us or to remind us of an important message, which is embodied in the medicine each animal carries.

It isn’t October yet, and I am seeing bats almost everywhere. Of course, I have been writing about bats in my blog because Halloween is the upcoming holiday.  While researching bats for the blog, I learned that bats are big in Austin, Texas.  Austin actually has two bat parades every year honoring the bat!

The other day, I flipped through the TV channels and discovered a nature show on bats.  And then on the news later that week, there was a bat flying back and forth in an airplane cabin.  If he really did end up down the john, he no doubt met an untimely death; or was he just reborn?!  In any case, bats have definitely showed up for me in the last few weeks.  Here’s the link to the bat on the airplane:  Bat on Airplane

Today, a friend posted a picture of a painted cow from the Austin Cow Parade.  Austin seems to have a lot of parades of one kind or another!  Of all the painted cows that could have been posted, this one was covered in bats:  Painted Cow

To the Native Indians, bat can also symbolize “a time of change or a time to change one's perspective.”  Well, one perspective to change is that bats have to be black.  As I have said before, kids love color, so try orange and purple bats, too. 

Whenever I see a bat now, I think of rebirth, which can be a healing message for a heavy heart.  Consider adding these some of items to your bat factoid list.


Happy Crafting.

~Terry

No comments:

Post a Comment