Saturday, October 15, 2011

Washcloth Crafts! Dyeing Terrycloth Washcloths

TerryGami Bat




TerryGami, 15 Cloth Toy and Ornament Projects for Crafters, Teachers, and Children
Now available in soft cover!



Welcome to washcloth crafts!
Can’t find that perfect color washcloth for your critter or holiday icon?  Companies can and have made these beautiful colors in the past; they just are not available all of the time.  However, black washcloths sold in bulk are another story. I have never found them!

When I started this endeavor, I couldn’t never find red or black.  Then one day, I found red.  I was so thrilled bought two packages of 18 cloths.  I thought, now they will be available all of the time.  Unfortunately, that didn’t come to pass. However, when in a pinch, the alternative is to dye them.

What dye to use when dyeing terrycloth? The Internet tells me that Procion MX, the dye used in tie-dyeing, is best to use on natural fibers and terrycloth, which is made of cotton.  You can find it online and in art supply stores, and it is reasonably priced.  It is also suggested to wash the terrycloth first without using fabric softener and with a little vinegar to strip the starch or any coating from the fabric, so it will absorb the dye better.  This Procion dye is said to be “safe, brilliant, mouth-watering and permanent.”  What more can we ask for?!

My only concern is, can a white washcloth be dyed black without it looking gray, or a red cloth, pink? When I used Rit dye, I had some success dyeing olive green cloths black, but I needed to dye them twice.  Of course, regular black washcloths can be found, but for the bats, you will need the thin cloths, and you will want to buy them in the bulk packages found in discount department stores, if you are planning to use them as party favors. Washcloths can be expensive, if you don't buy them in bulk, especially when you need to buy a lot of them, and they may be too thick for the bats.  Sometimes the thicker cloths work well, especially for critters like the TerryGami Turkey, but, for the most part, the thinner cloths are a bit better.  If the critters turn out too thin, you can always stuff the them with quilt batting.

I hope the washcloth companies start to supply us with every color (and black and red especially) on a regular basis.  Dyeing the cloths can be a bit of a chore, but I have to admit, I was thrilled when the black cloths finally turned out perfectly.  Oh, the possibilities for crows, black cats, and witches’ hats!

Happy Crafting!
~Terry

No comments:

Post a Comment