Monday, May 7, 2012

Washcloth Crafts, Don't let the kids get too cool for crafts!


Lots of fun summer ideas to choose from!
TerryGami, 15 Cloth Toy and Ornament Projects!

The books are available online at:


Happy Mother’s Day! All moms deserve one!

Washcloth Crafts!
My mother was always doing one craft or another when I was a teenager.  I was totally uninterested in any craft at the time, although I do remember stringing a few beads to make bead flowers back then.  It wasn’t until I got to college and watched my roommate engrossed in doing a crewel piece that I became interested in crafts. Mind you, at home, my mother did beautiful crewel pieces that she framed and hung in every room of our home, but it took someone my own age to get me interested in any form of what is deemed a craft.

I wonder now, if my mother had insisted that I try it before I knocked it, if things would have been different. I wonder if it would have given my mother and I something we could have shared because especially since I went crewel crazy in college.  The craft craze only got worse after when I married and had kids to make things for. 

After crewel work came an interest in ceramics, macramé and punch needle embroidery.  When my kids came along, the craft of the day was woodworking (a craft created in Puckane, Ireland – it is like stained glass but instead of using glass, stained pieces of wood are used), and then it was on to wood burning, crochet, actual glass stained glass using glass, quilting, Christmas sweatshirt painting, bandanna beading and lollipop making and more.  Mind you I haven’t mastered all of these crafts. Now I am trying to learn how to knit with out skipping a stitch and working on TerryGami.  Unfortunately, knitting has been put to the side for now.

Maybe this should be a lesson to young mothers and even grandmothers out there.  Try to get your child or grandchild interested in a crafts now, and then maybe someday you both will have a passion for a craft you both can share. Start when the children are young, otherwise they will be too "cool" to even consider it.

Moms, enjoy your day and happy crafting!

~Terry

No comments:

Post a Comment