Sunday, May 8, 2011

Washcloth Crafts, Happy Mother's Day and Crafts


TerryGami, 15 Cloth Toy and Ornament Projects for Crafters, Teachers, and Children

The book is now available in soft cover!
The book is available at:


Happy Mother’s Day!

Washcloth Crafts!
My mother was always doing one craft or another when I was a teenager.  I was totally uninterested in any craft at the time, although I do remember stringing a few beads to make bead flowers back then.  It wasn’t until I got to college and watched my roommate engrossed in doing a crewel piece that I became interested. Mind you, at home, my mother did beautiful crewel pieces that she framed and hung in every room of our home, but it took someone my own age to get me interested in the craft! 

I wonder now, if my mother had insisted that I try it before I knocked it – I wonder if it would have given us something we could have shared, because of course, I went crewel crazy in college.  The craft craze only got worse after when I married and had kids. 

After crewel work came an interest in ceramics, macramé and punch needle embroidery.  When the kids came along, the craft of the day was woodworking (a craft created in Puckane, Ireland – like stained glass but instead of glass, stained pieces of wood are used), wood burning, crochet, actual glass stained glass, quilting, Christmas sweatshirt painting, bandanna beading and lollipop making and more.  Mind you I haven’t mastered all of these crafts. Now I am trying to learn how to knit and working on TerryGami, although knitting has been put to the side for now.

Maybe this should be a lesson to young mothers and even grand mothers out there.  Try to get your child or grandchild interested in a crafts, and then maybe someday you both will have a passion for a craft you both can share. Start when children are young, otherwise they will be too "cool" to even consider it.

Moms, enjoy your day and happy crafting!

~Terry

No comments:

Post a Comment