Monday, September 19, 2011

Washcloth Crafts, Bats! Purple, Green, Black and White!

Green Washcloth Bat

      Orange Washcloth Bat
Purple Washcloth Bat
White Washcloth Bat

TerryGami, 15 Cloth Toy and Ornament Projects for Crafters, Teachers, and Children

Black Washcloth Bat

The book is now available online in soft cover:


Washcloth Crafts!
It wasn’t until I watched kids in action at a TerryGami birthday party that I realized that my worries over what color washcloths were available stopped. The kids made yellow, pink and purple tortoise and hares. Before the party, and in my limited way of thinking, a bat needed to be black.  Since black wasn’t readily available in cheap, thin washcloths when I wrote the book, I dyed the cloths black.  Later, I expanded upon the idea that an orange bat would be okay for Halloween, but after this party, the kids showed me how much they love color, so I came to realize that the TerryGami critters can be any color and the brighter the better.  I was the one with the narrow, and not particularly creative, vision of how things should be. So, if you are looking to take the Goth out of Halloween, make pink, yellow, blue, and green bats.  Bats can be any color in the rainbow!

 Note:  The wings can be made raised or just leave them in a straight out position or pointed down. There are many ways to adjust and arrange the wings. Sew the crease lower on the head for the wings to point upward. With the thinner cloths, the wings turn out thinner.  It’s the exact same pattern, just not quite as bulky.

And, yes, I have a thing about using sparkle foam board. Remember, if you have any white, foam board stars, use the points for the fangs.  The bat can also be a Boo Boo Bat, a treat holder, or a sachet for Grandma's dresser drawer.  Just tuck an ice cube, a plastic ring or candy, or potpourri in the tummy.  For older kids -- how about money!  :)

Happy Crafting!
~Terry

No comments:

Post a Comment