Saturday, September 3, 2011

Washcloth Crafts, Teaching kids to follow instructions using TerryGami!

Albino Washcloth Bat
Black Bat with Washcloth Raised Wings
TerryGami, 15 Cloth Toy and Ornament Projects for Crafters, Teachers, and Children


The book is now available online in soft cover!
The book is available at:


Does anyone really like to read instructions?  I am not even happy at the sight of a long  recipe. I have to make myself a cup of tea and sit down to prepare myself for the task of deciphering it.  I would much rather have the information directly downloaded into my brain, so don’t be surprised if I am the first to have a Matrix or Borg-like attachment in my head, if the technology ever becomes available.

Craft instructions are no different to me.  If I can just look at the pictures or illustrations to figure it out, I will.  This is why I have made the illustrations in my book as easy as possible to understand.  Even the print in the book is large, because the site of long paragraphs of microscopic print has always been a huge turn off to me.  

However, as we all know, but hate to admit, it is always better to read through the instructions first.  Doggone it anyway!   This is a lesson everyone should learn early.  I suppose I have fought it all my life, but it’s true.

If using the TerryGami book to teach this important concept, have the children read through the entire set of instructions first. The illustrations will help them visualize as they go through the assembly of the critter or ornament.  If you can, let them put their feet up and have a cup of hot chocolate or something to make the experience pleasant. Well, maybe this is going too far, but this should cut down on the questions to mom or instructor, and hopefully, will prevent them from ever becoming as instruction phobic as I am.

Think about what is like to finally figure out how to assemble something.  For me, once I  know what I am supposed to do, I can hardly wait to get started. Hopefully, the idea of making a cute critter will serve as a catalyst to inspire the kids to complete the project.  The TerryGami washcloth craft instructions are designed so the crafter can just glance back at the illustrations to find their place in the process. Check out the free Boo Boo Bunny instructions on the TerryGami website for an example of the instructions.

If you are making bats for a classroom or a large homeschool gathering or a Scout troop meeting, start working on them now!  By the way, you can always let the kids put on the eyes, nose and fangs.  Classroom time is often so limited these days, so plan ahead.  By the way, you can also glue the bat with non-toxic, non-flammable fabric glue, but apply the glue with a toothpick to avoid any messes.

To the lucky homeschoolers who are using the fall as their off time (a neat idea if you ask me!), TerryGami can be a fun way to sneak in a little learning without the kids realizing it. You can teach them how to sew and how to follow instructions at the same time! Don't forget, you can use wide-eyed, blunt-end needles with terrycloth. Oh, and you will be teaching them how to make a washcloth critter, too! 

Happy Crafting!
~Terry

No comments:

Post a Comment