Thursday, March 1, 2012

Washcloth Crafts, Happy National Craft Month!

Sold  online in both hard cover and soft cover.
Sold online in soft cover only.

For a smaller shamrock, try using baby washcloths
.
Available in the UK, Canada, Europe and Australia, too!
Links:
Barnes and Noble

Also check out:
Etsy

Welcome to washcloth Crafts!

Happy National Craft Month!
This March, it is so nice to be able to say that I have two craft books available for sale because there was a time I was going to give up on the whole project out of sheer frustration. 

The path to getting this far has been a bit rocky, to say the least.  Originally, I wrote all of the instructions in long hand and typed them. I didn't want to read the instructions myself, so I decided the kids wouldn't either.  Through trial and error, I learned how to draw on the computer so I could add illustrations to the instructions. I decided, too, to add factoids. When I presented the new instructions to my critter vetting crew, they insisted that I redo all of the instructions! They didn't like the fact that the instructions were all on one page because they said it would too difficult for children to decipher them.  Dutifully, I enlarged all of the instructions and put them on several pages. I knew it would be more costly to print, but I wanted the instructions as kid friendly as possible.
 
I was so excited when the crew came back to vet the instructions again, but my hopes were again quickly dashed when they insisted that the text and the numbers be enlarged, and for the text to be positioned above the illustrations instead of below them, and to add a line separating each step.  Oh brother!  The idea of revamping the instructions, really for 4th time, was almost more than I could take!

However, by this time, I had years and years of work developing the prototypes (some of them several times) and the instructions. I couldn't just let it all go. This also meant the instructions would have to be on even more pages! Oh, for crying out loud!!!  I decided the book would have to be divided into a series because the printing cost would be impossible, especially since the instructions are all in color.

The TerryGami books are designed to be used as workbooks, so you might as well buy the soft cover, which is cheaper. Barnes and Noble often has the books for less. Once the kids are taught to sew by hand and how to make a few critters, they should have no trouble figuring out how to do the rest. The factoids in the books are to help make each project informative, especially if you are providing a group activity for the Scouts or a kids club. I hope moms and dads who home school will find the books particularly helpful when looking for fun projects that also teach something new.

So there you have it. After years of setbacks, only time will tell if it has been worth it. There are many more projects to come, but some just can't  wait for a whole book to be written. I am putting some of the newer projects up on Etsy so you won't have to wait. The Boo Boo Angel is already available, but I decided there needed to be a Boo Boo Boy Angel for all of my friends who have boy grandchildren. There needed to be a Tooth Fairy, too!  The prototype gave me a fit, but I believe I finally have managed to come up with a cute one. I hope you like the new projects and the new book!

Happy Crafting!
~Terry

No comments:

Post a Comment